PURPOSE: The purpose of this job is to operate a variety of heavy equipment, including, but not limited to, backhoe, motor grader, skidloader, dump truck, roller, asphalt paver, and mill equipment to remove or place materials per job specifications, and to compact material such as hot mix asphalt, cold mix asphalt, rock, sand, or operate other equipment needed on the job to support completion of road building projects.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR WORKERS WHO HAVE:
- Ability and skill to meet operating standards for heavy equipment by maneuvering equipment in/out of a variety of locations.
- Ability/skill to perform operating duties for extended periods of time in a variety of weather conditions and maintain quality and productivity.
- Ability and knowledge related to daily maintenance of assigned piece of equipment, such as fuel, oil, water, and other equipment parts.
- Knowledge, skill and ability to follow supervisor’s instructions in an accurate manner, and in accordance with established procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, public and co-workers.
- Ability to be available for work daily and overtime as required; including week-end work.
- Ability to assist in laborer or other work related areas as required.
- Ability to understand and observe safety rules/regulations, including preventive safety measures.
- Ability to be alert to potential hazards in the work area.
- Knowledge and ability to read and comprehend gauges on equipment in anticipation of maintenance or breakdown.
- Ability to read a level and to see if the grade has proper drainage and slope.
- Ability to take initiative in regards to what needs to be done next (looking ahead) and remain productive throughout the work day.
- Ability/skill and responsibility to maintain control over traffic in a professional and safe manner.
- Awareness and warn all roller operators of deep asphalt fills or soft edges with steep drop offs. Due to the possibility of tipping the roller over in these situations.
- Respect for other people’s property, treat it as your own or better. No debris, garbage, marks on the lawn (keep equipment off of lawn).
- Lookout man for potential hazards such as:
- Overhead electrical lines, etc.
- Tree branches
- Pinch points of all kinds (equipment and vehicle to vehicle situation).
- Ability/skill to properly load equipment on a variety of company trailers in a safe manner (both for employee safety and haul safety), and operate the loading and binding tools in the same manner.
RECOMMENDED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- It is recommended to have and maintain a current Class A CDL, air brakes, tanker, hazardous material endorsements and DOT certification, including entrance physical examination, drug and alcohol tests, and periodic recertification requirements.
- Ability to do frequent and continuous physical labor and driving. A stable work history is preferred.
- Knowledge of product and techniques.
- This is an outdoor, physically demanding job working in heavy equipment areas with varying seasonal weather conditions (i.e. heat, cold, wind, rain, dirt, dust, etc.)